This is so exciting CCC!
I am honored to announce the winners in our first ever Cooking Contest Central members-only recipe contest. Our collaboration with Country Crock was a huge success, with hundreds of entries from our talented membership! Every day this week I will reveal another winner, leading up to the Grand Prize announcement on Friday. Drumroll please…
Our 5th place, honorable mention winner is – Margee Berry!!! Her recipe for “Cranberry Chutney Appetizer Tarts” are bite-sized treats with the perfect blend of sweet and heat.
Margee says, “I came up with this recipe over the Thanksgiving holiday for a quick appetizer. Year-round I always have a couple packages of filo mini shells in my freezer to come up with either a quick appetizer or dessert I can always count on the shells to stay crisp for several hours. I used the Country Crock Original Spread to sauté the cranberry chutney topping for this recipe.”
Our distinguished judge for the first-ever CCC members only contest has quite a resume. Kay Cargill Springer received her Bachelor of Science degree in Home Economics- Foods in Business- from the University of Minnesota. Kay worked almost 34 years in the test kitchen of a nationally known food publication. Kay has judged several other contests for companies such as Nestle’s, Bush’s Beans, Florida Citrus, and more. She is currently reviewing and editing recipes for a national food company.
This contest simply wouldn’t have been possible without Kay’s invaluable expertise and input. With so many outstanding entries she sure had tough job! Thanks so much Kay!
- 2 Tablespoons Country Crock Spread
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeño
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ cup roughly chopped fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange peel
- 3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg
- 2 packages (15 count each) mini fillo shells
- Preheat oven to 350. Melt Country Crock Spread in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and jalapeno; sauté 5 minutes. Add garlic and allspice; sauté one minute more. Add cranberries and brown sugar; carefully cook and stir until cranberries start to pop about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in orange peel.
- In a medium bowl beat cream cheese and egg until smooth.
- Fill fillo shells ¾ full with cream cheese mixture, spoon cranberry mixture on top. Place shells on large baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until filling is set. Makes 30 appetizer tarts.