Holiday Pickled Onions with Maille Mustard
Holiday Pickled Onions are so easy with Maille Old Style Whole Grain Dijon Mustard! Attractive, versatile, and tasty, pickled onions add boost of acid to sweet potato, green bean, or butternut casseroles. Pickled onions bring balance robust roasted vegetables. An easy 3-day make-ahead dish, pickled onions on top of goat cheese & basil bruschetta create delicious and beautiful appetizers. And when it comes to a turkey sandwich, pickled onions add fresh tangy flavor boost! Make a double batch a few days early and let the onion magic begin!
- Holiday Pickled Onions
- 2 cups red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Maille Old Style Whole Grain Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon sea salt
- 4 cups thinly sliced red onions, ¼-inch or less wide, 2-3 medium onions
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped rosemary
- Optional: 1 Tablespoon rosemary olive oil or light tasting olive oil
- In a 3 quartt saucepan, combine red wine vinegar, mustard, sugar, and salt. Bring liquids to a boil. Remove from heat, add rosemary, and let sit for 5-15 minutes.
- Add red onions, cover, and cook on low 10 minutes, stirring at least one time.
- Remove from heat, add rosemary, and let sit for 5-15 minutes.
- Drain. The brine can be used for 1 more pickling!