Savory Baklava with Prosciutto & Gruyere
This recipe is a play on baklava and uses puff pastry which is much easier to handle than phyllo dough. The prosciutto, gruyere and Maille mustard make this savory baklava twist a great holiday brunch item or a great appetizer for a holiday party, especially paired with a glass of white wine.
- 1 package of puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed
- 1/3 cup of chopped pistachios, 1 tbs set aside for topping
- 2 Tablespoons of Maille traditional Dijon mustard
- 4 oounces of thinly sliced prosciutto (around 10-12 slices)
- 5 ounces of shredded gruyere cheese, 2 Tablespoons set aside for topping
- 1 egg beaten + 1 Tablespoon of water mixed for egg wash
- Heat Oven to 450 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix together the pistachios with the gruyere cheese until blended (leaving toppings set aside).
- On a parchment sheet lined baking pan, carefully place one sheet of puff pastry on the pan.
- Brush mustard onto the puff pastry, leaving ½” border around.
- Carefully lay the prosciutto on top of the mustard, overlapping.
- Spread cheese and nut mixture on top of prosciutto.
- With a brush, brush egg wash along the exposed puff pastry border (this is like the “glue” that will hold everything together).
- Lay the second piece of puff pastry directly on top of the first.
- Gently press down on the border edges so nothing leaks out during baking.
- Brush the top and sides of the puff pastry with the egg wash (you won’t use all of it)
- Cut 3 slits on top of the pastry (cut down until you get to the filling, but not all the way through). This will help the pastry vent and let steam out.
- Refrigerate for another 15 minutes before baking (this hardens the butter to make the pastry super flaky).
- Place in the center of the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, turn the pan 180 degrees. Cook for another 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle on remaining cheese and pistachios "toppings" and cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Total cook time should be 20-25 minutes until the pastry is completely puffed and golden brown.
- Wait 5 minutes for it to cool and cut into diamonds and serve.