Have you already come down with a case of the Pillsbury Fever? The only remedy – an awesome blog giveaway. From now through the end of the first submission period, we are giving away this vintage Pillsbury Bake-Off prize package.
Over 60 years ago “Snappy Turtle Cookies” became an instant classic. The story behind this historic win and more tales from the 4th Grand National (a.k.a. Pillsbury Bake-Off) can be found at “The Culinary Cellar”
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ½ cup margarine or butter, softened
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- ⅛ teaspoon imitation maple flavor, if desired
- 1 egg
- 1 egg, separated
- 1½ cups all purpose or unbleached flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecan halves, split lengthwise
- ⅓ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- In large bowl, combine brown sugar and ½ cup margarine; beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla, maple flavor, 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk; beat well.
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt; mix well. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate about 1 hour for easier handling.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease cookie sheets. Arrange pecan pieces in groups of 5 on greased cookie sheets to resemble head and legs of turtle. In small bowl, beat egg white. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Dip bottoms in beaten egg white; press lightly onto pecans. (Tips of pecans should show).
- Bake at 350°F. for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheets. Cool 15 minutes or until completely cooled.
- In small saucepan, combine chocolate chips, milk and 1 tablespoon margarine; cook over low heat, stirring constantly until melted and smooth. Remove from heat; stir in powdered sugar. If necessary, add additional powdered sugar for desired spreading consistency. Frost cooled cookies. Let frosting set before storing. Store in tightly covered container.
I was thrilled when I found these items at an antique store in Los Angeles. The vintage ad is perfect for framing (9 by 12) and the cookbook is a great addition to any Pillsbury Bake-Off collection.
One (1) winner will receive this vintage Pillsbury set: “Snappy Turtle Cookies” Vintage Advertisement and Pillsbury’s 4th Grand National Cookbook.
How to Enter:
1) Leave a comment answering the following question… “What is your favorite Pillsbury product?”
4) Leave a comment if you have posted about this giveaway with the link on your own Facebook page, your own Twitter account or pinned this giveaway to one of your own Pinterest boards. (1 entry each, no more than 3 total)
Sample tweet: Enter to win a holiday entertaining prize from @CCCentral #giveaway https://cookingcontestcentral.com/our-first-blog-giveaway/
You have up to 7 chances to win so you can leave up to 7 comments (1 valid comment = 1 entry). To enter, leave a separate comment for each entry using the comment form below on this blog post.
Note: Only comments left on this blog entry will be valid. Comments left on Cooking Contest Central’s Facebook/Twitter/Pinterest page, sent by email, or anywhere else will not be entered in this giveaway.
Up to 7 entries per person. Each entry must be a separate comment and not a reply to a comment and not multiple entries within one comment. You must be 18 years or older and a United States Resident to enter. Prizes will be mailed to U.S. addresses only and can not be mailed to P.O. Boxes. Contest is void where prohibited by law. Sweep is free to enter and no purchase is necessary. All entries must be received by Friday, February 8th at 11:59 PM (EST).
Cooking Contest Central will randomly select a winner using the WordPress plug-in “And the Winner Is” based on the number of valid entries on or around February 9th. Winner will be notified by email and have 3 days to respond with their address before an alternate winner will be chosen and notified.
This is not a sponsored post. I just want to celebrate the Pillsbury Bake-Off and get everyone excited about the 2013 contest!