Jalapeno Hush Puppies
The secret to these Mississippi hush puppies is finely chopped jalapeno peppers for a bit of heat!
Deep fry the hush puppies in a large, cast iron Dutch oven. I couldn’t live without my 9-1/2 quart Oval Dutch Oven from Le Creuset!
- 2 cups stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 Tabelspoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped jalapeno peppers
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Corn oil, for deep frying
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add the jalapenos, buttermilk, and egg. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Heat the oil in large, cast iron dutch oven to 375 degrees F and drop the batter by spoonfuls into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown. Drain and serve hot.