Sunrise Orange and Broccoli Coffee Cake
This Sunrise Orange Coffee Cake is full of surprises to start your day, Mann’s Broccoli Cole Slaw makes a healthy, tasty and textural addition.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup Mann's broccoli cole slaw
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- Crumbly topping
- 1/4 cupunsalted butter, cold
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, not packed
- 1/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- Pre-heat oven to 350. Butter a 9 inch square baking pan, line with waxed paper and butter the paper.
- To prepare the cake, mix both flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a larger bowl beat the butter, sugar, orange zest and extract with an electric mixer at medium speed until creamy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until just blended after each addition.
- With mixer at low speed, beat in Mann's Broccoli slaw, apricots and dry ingredients, alternating with the milk. Spoon the batter into the pan.
- In a medium bowl combine the crumble ingredients. Sprinkle these on top of the cake.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Turn onto a board and remove the wax paper then using a cooling rack invert to topside up. Cool completely.
- Combine the icing ingredients in a small bowl until smooth and place in a pastry bag or a plastic lunch bag and cut a small hole and drizzle onto cooled cake.