Spicy Cucumber Bites
These tasty two-bite cucumber ” mini- sandwiches,” are not only healthy, balanced with herbs, spices, protein and veggies, but also, are a snap to make. They can be prepared in advanced and chilled, perfect as stress-free party appetizers, or simply for after-school or in-between meals noshing.
- One 13-inch English cucumber, 1/8 inch slices
- 7 ounces garlic & herb (fat-free or reduced fat) cheese spread
- 2 medium red peppers, seeded, finely chopped, divided
- 1/3 cup finely chopped scallions, or chives, + for garnish
- ½ teaspoon Cajun spice blend (paprika, celery seed, garlic, cayenne, basil, parsley)
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust to desired heat)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 5 ounces skinless, boneless salmon from can or fresh broiled, flaked
- Cut cucumber into 1/8 inch slices. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix cheese spread, ½ of chopped red peppers, scallions, Cajun spice blend, red pepper flakes, and salt, until well combined. Add salmon, stir to blend well.
- Spread scant 2 teaspoons mixture on each of half of the cucumber slices. Top with remaining cucumber slices., to make a sandwich.
- Spread remaining chopped red peppers onto a small plate. Gently roll the cheese sides of each sandwich into chopped peppers.
- Arrange on serving plate. Garnish with a sprinkling of red peppers and scallions. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to use.